Many artists are addicted to color. So am I. Realism, as I understand, uses less pure pigments and instead serves up what nature displays. Colorists, in contrast, seem to enjoy greater freedom to paint what they feel; paint emotions they want to express; they allow color to dictate the painting outcome instead of form and inherited ideas about color.
This is my first attempt at a colorist approach. Frankly, I like it better than the other few pastels I have done, because it is more vibrant and accentuates what I sense as pastel strengths pastel--pure pigment. When placed near the more realist paintings I tried, this one seemed so more vibrant and appealing.
So, each to his/her own, but in my personal journey so far, catching the eye and creating a response is what matters. A colorist approach just might work...
Final (I think):
I like this new turn.
ReplyDeleteInteresting turn, David. Hope to see more of this.
ReplyDelete